Saturday, October 22, 2011

Hugo Cabret and my soon-to-be break

I don't really have any of my own artwork to post this time around as I came here for a different reason. Yes, I realize this is "The Art of Jasmine Hope" blog... perhaps along the way I'll dig up some old art and post it here and perhaps not. Right now I have a bit of time to post a blog and felt the whim to do so. Since these moments are so sparatic it's probably good to do it when I actually feel the move to.

The real reason I came here is to share that in 2 weeks time the show that I am currently working on, Hugo, will be ending. The hope was that there would be work coming in after this and that I would be able to transition into a 3D modeling position, as I am currently a Render Wrangler for Pixomondo. Unfortunately, they're moving into a slow season and there is no new work to transition into. So that means come November 4th I get to take a forced break. As much as the thought of being unemployed freaks me out, I am pretty at peace with this. I am really looking forward to spending time in Zbrush and strengthening my skills in that awesome software.

I've been told by so many people here, that have been in the industry for a while, to check out Gnomon School of Visual Effects. Looking right now on their website, I can see that there are definitely a few classes I want to take. I hear it's a great place to update one's skills and to learn new skills. It's nice to know there is a place in LA like that. The goal is to get a good handle on the software so that I can use that to my advantage in my demo reel. As with any artist, one needs to keep updating one's skills to keep progressing and advancing.

Ok now that, that is out there for the world, lets go ahead and move onto something I find so much more interesting. Something related to art! This last Wednesday the author and illustrator of the book "Welcome To The Invention of Hugo Cabret", Brian Selznick, came to Pixomondo to tour the place and to take a look at the film "Hugo", directed by Martin Scorsese, that we are working on. We're doing over 700 shots for the film if I remember correctly. Well my boss ever-so-kindly ran down to Barns & Nobel to purchase some books for a few of us to get signed!

At first my intention was just focused on getting the book sign... then I opened the book. What a beautiful book! It's absolutely gorgeous. I had no idea. I'm really looking forward to delving into the book and loosing myself into the world of Hugo Cabret in 2 weeks. I strongly suggest you check out the website for the book. I wanted to share some images of the book as they are so thoughtfully and carefully cross hatched. What an amazing, patient artist.


Taken from here

Taken from here

Taken from here


Taken from here

Taken from here

This site has a ton of pictures out of the book for your enjoyment and I'm sure if you Google it you can find many, many more of his art.

2 comments: